20 November 2012

I’ve heard of numerous and varied reactions on my solo travel to Dumaguete with some being funny and amusing while some are just plain annoying. 


Loner lang? Maghahanap ng majojowa? Broken-hearted? Depressed tehh? Kaya mo ba talaga mag-isa?

The answer will be no, no, no, no and hopefully, yes.

I am aware that traveling on your own and being a girl in particular is not a popular practice in the Philippines but I am decided to do it. Living in Cebu 4 years back, I have explored places even without company. Went to Tops via habal-habal, explored beaches on my own via public commute and dined in places where couples, families or a group of friends usually go. All those under heavily-clouded and desperate circumstances – I was emotionally devastated. I needed to get away and I find refuge in food, scenic places or the beach.

This solo travel however is different. I am actually excited. Not running away from anything (or anyone) but seeking adventure.
I wanted to prove that it’s ok to be on your own and there’s nothing wrong in being alone. I am not suffocated by my family nor my friends but every once in a while it’s actually fun to spend time with nature and be calm, to not have anyone to answer to but yourself, to feed your needs and wants and be content with your own company.

Here are the best parts of my solo travel:

· I was hardly seen. Being part of a group makes you noticeable and locals would treat you and your company as tourists, which you are. But being able to actually blend into the crowd unnoticed is fun. If you are really good, you get some stuff cheaper as you are given the “local” bargain.

· I can take my time and just drag along. I realized that enthusiasts take pictures of almost everything. You obviously don’t just take one shot of something but a multitude of it and this can annoy your companion if he is not keen about what you’re doing. Eventually, you are dragged to go even if you don’t want to just yet.

· I met some interesting NEW people. And they are interested in showing me around too upon realizing I was on my own. So I got a couple degrees of deeper immersion because I was introduced to their families, friends and way of life as well :)

· I heard so many NEW and fun stories. When you go out with the same group of people, you tend to hear the same kind of experiences, thoughts, etc. Being with new people introduces new perspectives with most being fascinating and funny. And they tell with no holds barred thinking it’s the last they’ll see of you anyway. It’s like free entertainment :P 

· I enjoyed my quiet. Sometimes it’s actually nice (and necessary) to do away from all the mindless talk and drama and just breathe in the silence. I admit that most of my weekends are splurged with alcohol and relentless chats that being alone for once was actually refreshing :)

· I had space and time to really contemplate. This is usually part of solo travels. Reflection. You get to think about where you actually want to get to in life and if you’re actually on the right path.

This Dumaguete trip is memorable as I found people who I might spend some of my future travels with. When asked if I will do another solo travel, without batting an eyelash I’d say, “I definitely will”.

Just a reminder though to those who are planning to travel by themselves too, make sure everything is planned out well to ensure your security. It’s okay to be spontaneous once in a while but never disregard your safety. I have a quick checklist of things to consider and remember in travelling alone. Happy lakwacha! :)

0 Sunsets: