20 November 2012

Surf's Up La Union


As the weekend is fast approaching, we prayed so hard for Typhoon Juaning to leave. I, along with 4 friends from way back elementary days, had a planned trip to San Juan, La Union. Mags and her friend Jean frequented Urbiztondo to surf but the rest of us are first timers. On the news it said Juaning was on her way out but another one named Kabayan was also looming. It poured that Friday night but we still went ahead.



We reached Urbiztondo a bit after 1am and checked in at this little place near the beach. It was nothing fancy really but we did not care for we went there FOR THE BEACH. 

The place we stayed at was also very cheap. Asking for only 200 pesos per head, regardless of how many people will be staying overnight. It had 1 twin bed, a single bed (which I think would still be good for 2) and 1 double-deck bed.

As soon as we arrived, I was in search of alcohol. The drinking session was done by 6am with only 1 left standing out of the 3 drinking buddies I had earlier. The two of us then went to the beach to light up a wishing lantern. Where I lost my slippers by the way. Masyado yata akong naaliw sa wishing lantern o lasing na ako nun. 

Breakfast was served and the drinking session resumed late morning. So to make the story short, I wasn't able to surf that Saturday but I was able to go to the Phil-Tag sponsored concert later that night. Had my take on over-flowing booze and good music while waves crashed on by and stars were mute witnesses to how invincible you felt. Poetic vibes, Pre. Ang sarap. 




My friends won in the beer-drinking contest, by the way. Gives you an idea of the kind of flock I'm part of ;) 

I got up earlier than the rest of my friends Sunday morning. While they are still deep in slumber, I was already by the beach having breakfast. I don't know why I wake up early after a night of drinking. Even if I'm home by 3 or 4, I'd usually get up at 7 which is pretty annoying sometimes. Anyway, with not-so-reliable earphones stuck on my ears, music pounded on as I enjoyed my Tapsilog and three cups of coffee.. Yep, my friends took THAT long to arrive. 



Later that day, me along with my 2 guy friends geared up to surf. The 2 girls who were first-timers surfed the day before. One was able to stand on the boards, one wasn't so lucky. Looking at the waves, I was undecided if I was up for it. I am not a very good swimmer. Even when I jump off the side of the pool into the clear, chlorine-rich water and sink for like 3-seconds, I feel like dying as water fill every hole present in my face. Hindi ako marunong sumisid. So imagine, huge waves and unfamiliar territory. I am not too excited.

The instructors arrived and there was no turning back. They charge 400 for an hour rental of the board and 400 for the surfing tutorial. The briefing on the sand, I did ok. It's easier to find balance when you're on solid ground. Time to hit the water and my knees just got shakier 





My first try was a no go. The second was not any better. Prepping for my 3rd, I told Kris (my buff instructor. lol) that if I'm unable to get up the board, this was going to be my last. Ang dami ko ng nainom na tubig by this time and my arms hurt. Lo and behold, I was able to stand!!! I jumped off the board as I neared the shore and looked back to my instructor who gave me the thumbs-up sign. I can't explain that feeling of being able to do what I feared and thought I could not do. I tried it again and again and kept asking for an extension even after my time has run out. When he'd ask, "Ano? Isa pa?" I'd sheepishly reply "Sige. Last na." This went on for about 4-5 times. Unfortunately, my death-defying moment (know by now that I am exaggerating. hehe) was not captured. My friends were already eating merienda but I was still on the waters, inaabuso ang kabaitan ng aking instructor. As they said, "Kanina nagba-back-out ka na, ngayon parang ayaw mo ng umahon".

It was incredible, that feeling. Exhilarating. I can never thank my friend, Mags, enough for bringing us there and sharing that surfing experience with us. If given a chance I'd go back. What they said was true, it's not gonna kill you. I had to skip work for two days in a row though. Signs of aging, lahat talaga nanakit. Pero ang masasabi ko lang, eto yung masakit na masarap. =)

P.S.Sorry for the bad pictures, kiddos. Walang may SLR, panay phone lang ang pinang-picture. Yaan niyo pag mayaman na ko, next project ko yun! 


=)

1 Sunsets:

Anonymous said...

My channel to YouTube – Betting videos in 360 - Videoodl.cc
My channel to YouTube: Betting videos in 360. I'm not using YouTube as a place youtube to mp3 cc for free, but you can watch my videos on my channel.