23 November 2012

The Sad Plight of Kawasan Falls

I believe it was sometime in 2008 that I last went to Kawasan Falls in Baranggay Matutinao, Badian. It had few cottages then in the first and second level but this did not ruin the beauty of this natural wonder. I admit I was a major SLOTH when I last went there so majority of the time I spent complaining about how tiresome it was going up instead of appreciating its beauty. I even paid 100 pesos for one of the guides to carry my luggage. Hindi ako maarte, lampa lang talaga ako. Nevertheless I am aware of its beauty. 
The Source
The water is ice-cold but clear that you can actually see the bottom. We stayed in one of the aircon rooms THEN in the 2nd level worth 1,000 pesos overnight. Going back to date, I realized it wasn't such a hard trek after all albeit the trail being slippery after some rain. 

A number of people unfortunately lost lives here but this did not stop tourists from making dayo. What's "making dayo"? So coño ha! Hehe I think the uneven flooring of the area causing some parts to be deeper than the others (and i'm not talking about gradual change in water level. More like water being chest-level at one point, another step and you'd barely feel the bottom) and the severe coldness of the water which could induce cramps attributed to the number of mishaps in the area.

I still have a very nice picture of Kawasan in my head from years back which made me more than eager to bring my friends here even with just a span of 4 hours left before we go back to Cebu City.

This sign however should have warned me of what waited for us. Kawasan Falls 4 short years later.
Welcome to Kawasan Falls
First level. A raft floating under the water fall was carrying about 10 or more people. There were also other groups enjoying the waters. Nothing looks natural here. I can't imagine how crowded this place was before the government actually did something to regulate the area. Not a lot of photos was taken. Sorry, medyo nagsesebo kasi ako nun from the trek at wala na akong lakas magpipindot ng cam.

Second level. The water is a blurred shade of green just like how it was on the First level. I was thinking it was because of the recent rain. Imagine me doing the silent scream in my head "Nooooooooooo!" OA siguro but this is not how I remember everything. The photos below are vivid illustrations of before and after. And to think I was using a lousy camera in 2008. Wala din palang maitutulong ang upgraded camera pag yung mismong subject mo na ang may problema.
Then
Now
We were discouraged to go to the Third level where The Source is. I remember that trail being steep a couple of years back and the recent rain would only make it all the more slippery so we didn't risk going there. Sayang kasi naaalala ko sobrang maganda doon pati yung mga dadaanan. Yun talaga ang gusto ko sanang ipakita ko sa mga kaibigan ko.

Below are more photos from 2008. 
An area that we passed by on the way to the source.
Third Level Kawasan Falls in 2008

Kawasan falls obviously suffered much from the hands of commercialization. I am thankful that the government of Cebu already moved in restoring it. I heard they closed down the area and demolished several cottages, etc because these structures sadly ruin the natural beauty of the falls. 
Spooky :P

Before reaching the first level of the falls.
Kawasan falls is a rare gem. I hope people realize that we should do what we can to preserve our environment. Let go of the familiarity of being indoors when being in places like these and refrain from altering its natural structure just so we can be comfortable. Just saying.

FYI. To get to Kawasan Falls, from the South Bus Terminal in Cebu City board a bus bound for Moalboal or Badian. Fare is around 100.00 for non-aircon buses which leaves on an hourly interval. Travel time is 3 - 3.5 hours with one stop over. We caught the last trip from Kawasan back to the city at nearly 6PM. 

Entrance fee rose from 10.00 to 50.00. Life vest rental 50.00. You can rent a raft for 300.00 and the guides will take you right beneath the waterfall. Cottage rental at 300.00. Not sure about rates for overnight accommodation though. You can hire a guide for 100.00 so they can lead you right up to the source / third level. You can get to 2nd level without one but beyond that, it is highly recommended that you get a guide. FOR ME, the best part is actually beyond the 2nd level :)

0 Sunsets: